18th May 2016
Scientists at IBM Research recently demonstrated “reliable triple-level-cell phase-change memory” for the first time. That translates to 3 bits of data per cell of phase-change memory (PCM), which could be revolutionary.
Writing to and reading from PCM is similar to how it's done on Blu-ray discs. It is non-volatile, meaning you don't need to keep it powered on for the data to be available. It can withstand thousands of times more rewrite cycles compared to flash.
The problems have been capacity and cost, because PCM could store only 1 bit per cell. This discovery — which allows 3 bits to be stored in each cell — will bring the cost of PCM to less than that of DRAM and closer to that of flash.
The applications range across pretty much anywhere memory is used — computers, smartphones, data centres. “For example, a mobile phone's operating system could be stored in PCM, enabling the phone to launch in a few seconds,” IBM wrote in a press release. “In the enterprise space, entire databases could be stored in PCM for blazing fast query processing...”
“Phase change memory is the first instantiation of a universal memory with properties of both DRAM and flash, thus answering one of the grand challenges of our industry,” said Dr Haris Pozidis, manager of non-volatile memory research at IBM Research - Zurich.
IBM’s Breakthrough in Phase-Change Memory: Three Bits per Cell
More reliable and cheaper than RAM; cost closer to flash
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance