Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
03:32 01st Oct, 2012
IFA 2012: Samsung Confirms Android 4.0 Based GALAXY Player 5.8 PMP, Will Be Revealed This Week
ICS media player features a huge 5.8" screen and front VGA camera; expected to be showcased at IFA 2012.
Last week, we tipped you off regarding Samsung's upcoming PMP (Personal Media Player), the GALAXY Player 5.8. Surprisingly, the rumour turned out to be pretty much spot-on, as the Korean manufacturer has now officially confirmed its existence. According to the press release (in Korean), the player sports a massive 5.8" display with pixel dimensions of 540x960. Although the company hasn't shed any light on the core hardware, the rest of the specs are as follows:
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), Learning Hub educational software.
- 5.8" TFT LCD with pixel dimensions of 540x960 (190 ppi).
- Front 0.3 mp camera, stereo speakers.
- 1 GB RAM, 16 \ 32 GB of internal storage, 32 GB microSD card slot.
- Wi-Fi, Assisted GPS, Bluetooth 4.0.
- 2500 mAh battery.
- 6.5" (l) x 3.4" (w) x 0.4" (10.8 mm) (d), 221 grammes.
Apart from its media functionality, a key feature of this PMP seems to be the inclusion of educational software and study material called Learning Hub, especially courseware customized for Korean students. This seems to be a major focus of the marketing campaign, with Samsung giving more importance to the PMP's "learning experience".
However, as pointed out in our previous story, the lack of an AMOLED display and the low pixel density are the product's biggest drawbacks. Considering that its primary function is to play high-quality video files, the absence of these features may turn out to be a crippling omission.
As of now, Samsung hasn't shared any information regarding the device's pricing and release date. However, it's expected to showcase the GALAXY Player 5.8 at IFA 2012. Till then, enjoy the eye-pleasing images in the gallery below. If you ask me though, the people in the photo look way too happy.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000