10:22 13th Aug, 2015
Swipe To Invest $3-4 Million In Maharashtra Manufacturing Plant
In what appears to be a rat race to set up manufacturing plants in India, Swipe is certainly not late to the game.
Swipe the Singapore-based smartphone and tablet brand, is now the next manufacturer to set up a plant in India. The details about the plant are yet to be revealed, but we do know that it will be a part of a 3-4 million dollar investment, that will spread out over a period of two years.
Head-quartered in Singapore, Swipe has been selling its smartphones in India for long. But like every other smartphone brand before the ‘Make in India’ initiative, was simply importing its smartphones and tablets into the country.
Swipe will commence operations in just 4-6 weeks from today and will not be assembling smartphones, but actually manufacturing them in a plant in the state of Maharashtra.
India is one of the fastest growing smartphone markets in the world and according to IDC data, will be taking over the US as well in the coming years.
So it makes perfect sense to set up shop in a country that is currently hungry for business with its ‘Make in India’ initiative.
Swipe CEO, Shripal Gandhi told PTI that the company is looking to manufacture about two million units by this year end as operations will soon commence. But the focus is not just on smartphones, but on tablets as well.
The company currently offers custom tablet solutions for a variety of clients in the industry that scale into the areas of retail, enterprise and education.
Swipe is clearly not late to the game. So far only ASUS, Xiaomi, Motorola and Gionee have opened manufacturing set ups (including contract manufacturing) in India. Xiaomi recently announced its first ‘Make in India’ smartphone called the Redmi 2 Prime.
- Philips 3.1 and 2.1 Channel Soundbars with Wireless Subwoofer launched
- Sony India launches a digital voice recorder ICD-UX570F
- Amazon Launches Fire TV Edition Smart TVs in India with Onida
- Supercharge Radeon Gameplay with AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition
- BOSE AR EXPERIENCES NOW AVAILABLE IN THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS APP
- Nokia 7.1 joins Nokia 9 PureView and Nokia 8.1 on Android 10
- HiFuture unveils Olymbuds, the Most Comfortable True Wireless Earbuds in India today at just Rs. 3,999/-
- Sennheiser Launches Momentum Headphones for Rs.34,990
- Launching FINGERS Chic Dual.D Wireless Neckband earphone
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband