Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
19:36 15th Dec, 2016
Netflix Strikes A Deal With Bollywood Star Shah Rukh Khan
Under this deal, Shah Rukh's movies will be exclusively available on Netflix.
The video streaming subscription business is still in its nascent stage in India. Yet, the race for supremacy in this emerging segment is already heating up. Just yesterday, Amazon launched its Prime Video streaming service in India. The e-commerce company will compete with Netflix and Hotstar. Amazon is off to a flying start thanks to aggressive pricing. Its yearly subscription costs Rs 499. In comparison, Netflix charges Rs 500 per month.
To counter this move, Netflix has sealed a deal with the Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan. Making an announcement, Netflix India tweeted this: "We are now the global home to the biggest Indian film star @iamsrk".
With the new deal, all the movies under Shah Rukh's production house Red Chillies will be exclusively available on Netflix. This also includes future releases for the next three years. Needless to say, SRK is one of the biggest draw for the Indian audience. However, it will be interesting to see if that's enough to offset the huge pricing difference between the two services.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance