Alnoor M Peermohamed
15:34 17th Jul, 2014
Microsoft Is "Well Behind" Oculus In Developing Its Own VR Headset
A new report suggests that development of the so-called Xbox headset is still in its early stages.
Microsoft, given its interests in gaming hardware with the Xbox, is one among the prime contenders in the world of virtual reality headsets. However, TechRadar reports that while the company is indeed working on virtual reality, it's far behind rivals Oculus and Sony right now.
The report cites a source familiar with the developments at Microsoft who said the company VR headset was still in the “early stages” of development. Currently that's pretty much all we know about Microsoft's device, but there have been signs of the company investing in it.
The benefits of an Xbox headset are obvious, with the device pairing up to the Xbox gaming console sort of how the Kinect does now. Rumours of a device in the works have been seeping in since the start of this year, with a demonstration expected at E3.
While that didn't happen, the latest news is another letdown for Xbox fans and gamers looking forward to VR in general. The erstwhile tech giant seems to have been caught off guard with quite a few new developments – smartwatches and now VR – in the tech world, with the obvious consequences losing out on initial buzz sales.
- The Best Smartphones Under Rs.20,000
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets