Alnoor M Peermohamed
16:07 12th Mar, 2014
Researchers Create The Thinnest LEDs In The World
The world of technology could be turned on its head with the LEDs that measure in at just three atoms thick!
LEDs have been around for some time now, but they've only recently become the mainstay of lighting and display technology the world over. Now, a bunch of researchers at the University of Washington have taken the technology to its next level by creating what they call the world's thinnest LEDs that measure in at just three atoms thick!
The researchers said that LEDs could be 10 to 20 times thinner than they currently are. Apart from the obvious uses in flexible/fordable displays and wearables, they could even be used in computer chips of the future where optical signals could replace electrical ones.
The miniaturisation of LEDs does not only make for thinner and flexible devices, but will also provide a massive bump in the efficiency. For now the technology to make such devices is not easily accessible. The researchers are hoping to develop an easier way of making their LEDs in the future.
“Our work makes it possible to make highly integrated and energy-efficient devices in areas such as lighting, optical communication, and nano lasers," added Xu.
With such alluring characteristics, the development of such miniature LEDs and other nano devices will hold the key to all the devices and technologies we see in the future.
- The Best Smartphones Under Rs.20,000
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets