11:50 15th Mar, 2013
Android 4.1 Update Available For Micromax Canvas 2 A110
However, you will have to visit the service centre to get it up and running on your phone.
The Micromax Superfone Canvas 2 A110 has just received an Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update, as per a post on XDA, bringing the dual-SIM GSM handset, powered by a dual-core CPU, on par with the bigger players on the software front. The smartphone that was launched in the end of October last year, and originally came with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The company is not yet officially offering this update on its website or over-the-air (OTA). Currently, the only easy way to get the firmware refresh is by visiting a Micromax service centre. But, if you are one of those who like to live life dangerously, and are ready to risk bricking your A110, then you can head over to the XDA developers forum URL to download the x282 MB update and install it by yourself.
Sceenshots of the A110 with Jelly Bean update (Image Credit: XDA)
Before you head over to the forum, here are a few things you must know that are reportedly not right with this ROM. The post mentions that M! Store has been removed, meaning you can't access Micromax's application store. This is not really a big deal, as long as you have access to the Google Play store. The second issue mentioned is that TV-out doesn't work. But this is in all probablilty a mistake, because there is no TV-out (HDMI) on the A110. Just to refresh your memory, here are the specifications of the Micromax Canvas 2 A110:
- Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), Google Play.
- Dual-SIM GSM (Mini-SIM); 2G 900 / 1800 MHz, 3G UMTS 2100 MHz.
- 5", 5-point multi-touch IPS screen with pixel dimensions of 854x480.
- 1 GHz dual-core CPU.
- 8 megapixel rear camera with dual-LED flash, auto-focus, geo-tagging, touch-to-focus, face detection; 0.3 megapixel front camera.
- Supports up to 32 GB via microSD.
- Wi-Fi with hotspot, Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP.
- Micro-USB 2.0, 3.5 mm audio jack.
- A-GPS, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor.
- 2000 mAh Li-ion battery with up to 5 hours talk time and 180 hours standby time.
- 5.79" (l) x 3.01" (w) x 0.38" (9.7 mm) (d).
- Available colours: Jet Black, Calm White.
- Package contents: Handset, user guide, USB cable, warranty card, charger, battery, handsfree.
The Jelly Bean update should make the handset's UI more fluid, although that will depend on the RAM capacity, which is still unknown. The update also includes Google Now and enhanced notifications, among other improvements. The smartphone is available for Rs 11,000 (up by Rs 1000 as compared to its launch price) and the Jelly Bean update will surely increase its desirability. While we are yet to get an official word from Micromax, we'll keep you updated as more information comes in.
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (July, 2014)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2014)
- Top Smartphones For Business Users
- Best Gaming Smartphones Available In India
- Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
- Top Quad-Core Phones Under Rs 10,000 (August, 2014)
- Top Five Tablets Under Rs 10,000