15:24 25th Feb, 2013
HP Slate 7 Running Android Jellybean Launched, Priced At $169
HP Slate 7 is said to be targeted at budget conscious users. If the device manages to do well in the market, then similar range devices such as Amazon Kindle Fire HD could be in for some competition.
HP's new tablet termed as HP Slate 7 is a budget tablet priced at $169 (approx. Rs 9000). The HP Slate 7 offers a 7-inch display and is said to run on the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) platform. This usage of Android on the device breaks with convention, considering HP's affinity to Microsoft.
Alberto Torres, senior Vice-President, Mobile Global Business Unit, HP, says in a press release "To address the growing interest in tablets among consumers and businesses alike, HP will offer a range of form factors and leverage an array of operating systems." HP also claims that the Slate 7 with its embedded Beats Audio feature, will provide the "richest audio experience for a tablet."
The 7-inch display in the Slate 7 is comparable to that of another popular tablet, Amazon Kindle Fire HD which has proven to be a good offering to students with its extensive "e-Reader" capabilities. The Slate 7 press release claims that, "HP will provide an array of simple and easy-to-access support tools and resources to help customers take full advantage of all of the features the HP Slate7 has to offer." If the company indeed carries that out, it can expect to give the Amazon Kindle Fire some competition with its tech specs and pricing.
HP Slate 7 has the following technical specifications:
- 7-inch display
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system
- Cortex-A9 dual-core processor
- 3MP rear camera and VGA front camera
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB internal storage
- microSD card for expandable storage
- Wi-Fi, micro-USB connectivity
- Support for Google Now, Google Search, Gmail, YouTube, Google Drive and Google+Hangouts
- HP e-Print app [enables customers to print directly from applications using Wi-Fi]
HP Slate 7 is slated to go on sale from April this year, first in the United States. This tablet comes after the HP Pavilion Chromebook launch earlier this month, for simple home usage.
After officially biding adieu to the Android smartphone and tablet arena, HP seems to be trying to get back in the game at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2013. While the event mostly headlines phones, you can expect other devices to be announced as well.
The $169 price tag of the Slate 7 is lower than the Google Nexus 7 that is priced at $199 (approx. Rs 17,000 in India). Note though, the Nexus 7 has already received the Android 4.2 OS update.
- The Best Smartphones Under Rs.20,000
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets