14th Feb, 2013
[Update: Available Again] Micromax A116 Canvas HD Launched At Rs 14,000
Features a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, 5" IPS display and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Update 2: (Feb 14 4.00 p.m.)
The Micromax website is now once again accepting fresh orders, after having put up a "SOLD OUT" sign in the morning. Whether they found a secret stash of phones in the intervening time, negotiated additional production super-fast in the face of exceptional demand, under-estimated the number of phones that would be ordered, or just pulled a gimmick for publicity, is open to speculation.
Update 1: (Feb 14 10.00 a.m.)
1. The Micromax A116 Canvas HD is sold-out, as seen on the company's website. There is no mention of when order placing can resume.
2. Front camera specs corrected.
Dateline: February 13th
We had earlier expected the Micromax A116 Canvas HD to launch around Valentine's Day and now it is confirmed that the device will be available for purchase from tomorrow.
For those not in the know, Micromax A116 Canvas HD features a MediaTek MT6589 1.2 GHz quad core processor and runs on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). It has a 5-inch IPS screen and HD display with pixel dimensions of 1280x720.
Here are the detailed specifications of the Micromax A116 Canvas HD:
- 5-inch IPS screen, HD display of 1280x720 pixels with 294 ppi density.
- 1.2 GHz Quad core processor (MediaTek MT6589).
- 5XT PowerVR series GPU.
- Android 4.1 Jellybean operating system.
- Dual-SIM support.
- 8MP rear camera, with Night Mode and 4X Zoom.
VGA front camera. 2MP front camera
- 1 GB RAM.
- 4 GB internal storage.
- micro-SD slot for expansion up to 32 GB.
- GPS, 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity.
- 2000 mAh battery.
Micromax has priced the device at Rs 13,990 and it will be on sale from tomorrow exclusively on its official website http://www.micromaxinfo.com with a delivery time of 5-7 working days. There is currently no phone in the market which has a quad-core processor at this price tag. Looks like Micromax has finally unveiled its crown jewel to take on the likes of Samsung.