22:21 02nd Feb, 2013
Guidelines For Mobile Applications Issued By US FTC
The Federal Trade Commission has issued a wide-reaching set of new guidelines for makers of mobile platforms and developers of applications for mobile telephones and tablets to safeguard users' privacy.
The non-binding guidelines, published in a report on Friday, include the recommendation that companies should obtain consumers' consent before including location tracking in software and applications, consider developing icons to depict the transmission of user data, and consider offering a "Do Not Track" mechanism for smartphone users.
The FTC has been heightening its scrutiny of mobile devices, which are now the primary source of communication and Internet access for many users.
Among the companies who could be affected by the report are firms like Apple Inc., Amazon.com Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
(Reporting By Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Top Earphones Under Rs 1000
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (March, 2015)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 20,000 (March, 2015)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 30,000 (March, 2015)
- Top Smartphones For Business Users
- Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
- Top Quad-Core Phones Under Rs 10,000 (February, 2015)
- Top Tablet Recommendations Under Rs 10,000