22:21 02nd Feb, 2013
Guidelines For Mobile Applications Issued By US FTC
The Federal Trade Commission has issued a wide-reaching set of new guidelines for makers of mobile platforms and developers of applications for mobile telephones and tablets to safeguard users' privacy.
The non-binding guidelines, published in a report on Friday, include the recommendation that companies should obtain consumers' consent before including location tracking in software and applications, consider developing icons to depict the transmission of user data, and consider offering a "Do Not Track" mechanism for smartphone users.
The FTC has been heightening its scrutiny of mobile devices, which are now the primary source of communication and Internet access for many users.
Among the companies who could be affected by the report are firms like Apple Inc., Amazon.com Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
(Reporting By Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Top 5 Budget Smartphones At Rs 15,000
- Top 5 Smartphones Under Rs 20,000
- Top 5 Chromebooks Available In India
- 5 Best Free Photo Editing Apps On Android
- Five Best Compact Cameras Under Rs 10,000
- Top 5 Selfie Smartphone Recommendations
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (August, 2015)
- TV Recommendations Under Rs 40,000