17:14 30th Nov, 2012
Aakash 2 Makes A Grand Debut At The UN
Presented as "frugal innovation", the low-cost tablet goes international — even as people back home wait for it to rise from the dead.
As reported a few days back, the Aakash 2 made its debut at the UN, with Secretary General Ban Ki-moon taking the wraps off the world's cheapest slate. It is priced at a modest Rs 2200; the government had once said the Aakash would be "literally free" for students.
Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri, Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations, emphasised that the initiative is aimed at "eliminating illiteracy by equipping all 220 million students in India over the next 5 years with low cost computers and internet". However, for that to happen, it needs to be backed by educational content. Perhaps even more importantly, there should be the intent to actually make the tablet reach its target users.
Purely in terms of its specifications and low price, the tablet is impressive. Here's a list of known specs:
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
- ARM Cortex A8 1 GHz with 512 MB of DDR3 RAM.
- 4 GB internal storage, 32 GB microSD support.
- 7", 4-point capacitive multi-touch display with pixel dimensions of 800x480.
- 0.3 megapixel front camera.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, SIM Card support.
- Mini-USB port with OTG, 3.5 mm audio jack, G-sensor.
- 3200 mA Li-ion battery with up to 3 hours of backup.
- Package Contents: Tablet, Wall charger, USB adapter, USB cable, 4-port USB hub.
Nothing has yet been said about when shipping will begin, and how many tablets are actually available as of now. We'll try and keep you posted. Can we hope that this time around — after a show at the UN — we'll see some numbers?
- Top 5 Budget Smartphones At Rs 15,000
- Top 5 Smartphones Under Rs 20,000
- Top 5 Chromebooks Available In India
- 5 Best Free Photo Editing Apps On Android
- Five Best Compact Cameras Under Rs 10,000
- Top 5 Selfie Smartphone Recommendations
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (August, 2015)
- TV Recommendations Under Rs 40,000