Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
19:14 27th Sep, 2012
IFA 2012: Samsung Announces Android 4.1 Based 5.5" GALAXY Note II And 16.3 mp GALAXY Camera
Phone-cum-tablet features 8 mp snapper and stylus integration, while the Camera packs in a 4.8" HD screen and 4G data; both devices run Jelly Bean.
After multiple leaks and speculation occurring over the past few weeks, Samsung has finally announced the next iteration of its "phablet" at its Samsung Upnacked event, a day before IFA 2012 officially debuts on the 31st. Dubbed the GALAXY Note II, the device features a 5.5" Super AMOLED screen and support for voice calls. Fandroids will be pleased to know that the handset runs Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) out of the box. It will also come preloaded with many apps that are specially designed for the bundled S Pen (stylus). The gadget is powered by a 1.6 GHz quad-core CPU with 2 GB of RAM. It has a rear 8 mp and 1.9 mp front camera. Here's a list of detailed specs:
- 5.5" Super AMOLED screen with pixel dimensions of 720x1280 (267 ppi).
- Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean); 2G, 3G, and 4G LTE compatible.
- 8 mp auto focus camera with LED flash, 1.9 mp front camera.
- Dual channel Wi-Fi (2.4 & 5 GHz) with MHL support, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, NFC, Assisted GLONASS GPS, USB 2.0 Host (supports external devices).
- 16 GB \ 32 GB \ 64 GB internal storage, 64 GB microSD card slot.
- S Pen (stylus) with handwriting recognition support and Popup Note (scribble a note at any time, even when making calls).
- Video Formats: MPEG4, H.263, H.264, VC-1, DivX, WMV9, VP8, 3GP, MP4, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WebM.
- Audio Formats: MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC, AAC+, eAAC, AMR, MIDI, WAV, AC-3, FLAC.
- 3100 mAh battery.
- Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Gyroscope, Barometer, 3.5 mm jack.
- 3.2" (l) x 6" (w) x 0.4" (9.4 mm) (d), 180 grammes.
Despite being packed to the gills with top-end hardware, the Note II is only 9.4 mm thick. According to Samsung, the gadget will start shipping from October in major markets across the world. However, there's no information its pricing yet.
Along with the Note II, Samsung also unveiled its 16.3 mp snapper, called the GALAXY Camera. Yesterday's leak turned out to be pretty accurate, since the device indeed runs on the Android platform and features a 4.8" touchscreen. The specs list is as follows:
- 16.3 megapixel, 1/2.3" BSI CMOS sensor.
- F2.8, 23 mm, 21x zoom lens.
- 4.8" 308 ppi, HD touchscreen.
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200.
- 4G, quad-band 3G (850 \ 900 \ 1900 \ 2100 MHz) - data only.
- 1.4 GHz quad-core CPU.
- Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), Google Play store compatible.
- 8 GB internal storage, supports microSD \ HC \ XC.
- Image sizes: JPG - 16M, 14M, 12M Wide, 10M, 5M, 3M, 2M Wide, 1M.
- Video format: Full HD 1920x1080 (30 fps) MP4, Slow motion movie at 720x480 (120 fps).
- Dual-channel Wi-Fi with channel bonding, Bluetooth 4.0, Assisted GLONASS GPS, HDMI 1.4 output.
- Shooting modes: Macro, Rich Tone, Action Freeze, Waterfall Trace, Light Trace, Beautiful Sunset, Blue Sky, Natural Green, Silhouette, Vivid Fireworks.
- 1650 mAh battery.
- 5" (l) x 2.8" (w) x 0.75" (19.1 mm) (d), 305 grammes.
On the interface front, the camera boasts of a Voice Control feature that lets you adjust settings such as zoom by using voice commands. The Photo Wizard and Movie Wizard apps allow you to edit pictures and clips right from the camera, thanks to the powerful CPU. Auto Cloud Backup, as the name implies, automatically uploads your images online as soon as they are taken through Samsung's AllShare service, thus acting as a backup in the event your memory card gets corrupted. Of course, you can also post snaps to your social media accounts with ease, all made possible by the gadget's high-speed connectivity options.
The fact that this camera features Jelly Bean should be enough to put it on the wishlist of Android fanboys. The GALAXY Camera will be available in 3G and 4G variants, but Samsung hasn't shed any light on the device's pricing and launch date. Don't forget to check out the gallery for more high-res product shots.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000