08:51 27th Aug, 2012
Sony Launches Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 20 mp Camera For Rs 35,000
Pocket-sized digicam sports new large-diameter Carl Zeiss F1.8 lens with a control ring for manual operation.
Sony has launched the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, a pocket-sized camera featuring the world's first 1.0-type large CMOS sensor (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) and sporting a huge 20.2 megapixel count. It comes with a large, high-resolution 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD screen (1280x960) having a massive pixel density of 533 ppi, thus producing extremely crisp images on the display. In comparison, the iPhone 4S's Retina Display has a density of 326 ppi. Moreover, Sony's WhiteMagic technology claims to make the panel bright enough to be comfortably used outdoors.
The snapper also features the new F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens that boasts of focussing on backgrounds better and capturing more depth in images. A control ring around the lens lets you manually adjust various settings such as zoom, aperture, and various picture effects. The camera also supports light sensitivity up to ISO 12800, which helps in low-light conditions. Sony's proprietary Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation tries to minimise the effects of vibrations, while the BIONZ image processor claims to reduce noise, improve colour reproduction, provide better detail, and increase the speed of the continuous shot mode by taking an image in as little as 0.13 seconds. Finally, the DSC-RX100 is capable of shooting 1080p video. Here is the complete specifications list:
- 20.2 million pixels, 1.0-type (13.2 x 8.8 mm) Exmor CMOS image sensor, BIONZ image processor.
- No internal storage, supports MS Duo \ MS PRO Duo \ SD \ SDHC \ SDXC \ microSD \ microSDHC \ MS Micro \ MS.
- Still image dimensions: 18 mp (4:3) 4896x3672 \ 10 mp (4:3) 3648x2736 \ 5 mp (4:3) 2592x1944 \ 2 mp (16:9) 1920x1080 \ VGA (4:3) 640x480
- Movie recording: AVCHD (28 mp) 1920x1080 \ AVCHD (24 mp) 1920x1080 \ AVCHD (17 mp) 1920x1080 \ AVC MP4 (12 mp) 1440x1080 \ AVC MP4 (3 mp) 640x480 \ (VGA) 640x480.
- Carl Zeiss 3.6x optical zoom lens; F Number: 1.8-4.9 mm; Focal length: 29-105 mm; Focus Range (iAuto): W - ~5 cm to Infinity, T - ~55 cm to Infinity; 7.2x digital zoom.
- Aperture: iAuto (F1.8/F11(W)) \ Program Auto (F1.8/F11(W)) \ Manual (F1.8/F11(W)) \ Shutter Priority(F1.8/F11(W)) \ Aperture Priority(F1.8/F11(W)).
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto \ 125 \ 200 \ 400 \ 800 \ 1600 \ 3200 \ 6400 \ 12800.
- Shooting modes: Superior Auto, Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Movie Mode, Panorama, Scene Selection, Picture Effect, Manual Exposure.
- Scene Selection: High Sensitivity, Twilight, Night Scene, Night Portrait, Landscape, Fireworks, Gourmet, Pet, Handheld Twilight, Anti Motion Blur.
- Picture Effect: HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Toy Camera, Pop Colour, Partial Colour, Soft High-key, Water Colour, Illustration.
- Other Features: Optical SteadyShot image stabilizer, Face detection, Smile Shutter, Grid Line, Histogram indicator, Photo Creativity, In-Camera guide, Retouch Red-eye correction, 3D viewing mode, HDMI control, Wind noise reduction, Optical zoom during movie recording, Still image recording during movie, Face detection and recognition with memory function (up to 8 faces).
- Exposure compensation: + \ - 3.0EV, 1/3EV Step.
- Shutter speed: iAuto (4 (10.16 cm) - 1/2000) \ Program Auto ( 1(2.54 cm) - 1/2000).
- Focus mode: Multi-Point AF \ Centre-Weighted AF \ Spot AF \ Flexible-Spot AF \ Manual AF \ Flexible Spot AF (Tracking Focus).
- White balance: Auto \ Daylight \ Cloudy \ Fluorescent \ Incandescent \ Flash.
- Self-timer: 10 sec \ 2sec \ Off.
- Flash Mode: Auto, Flash On, Slow Synchro, Rear Sync, Flash Off.
- Flash Range : ~0.3 m to 17.1 m (W), ~0.55 m to 6.3 m (T).
- LCD monitor: 3", 1280x960 (533 ppi), Xtra Fine TruBlack TFT LCD.
- Video output: Micro-HDMI connector.
- Micro-USB connector (Hi-Speed USB) with MTP \ Mass Storage \ Auto configuration.
- Power supply: Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1 with AC charger, 330 shots in image mode, 165 mins in video mode.
- 4" (w) x 2.3" (h) x 1.4" (d), ~240 g (including batteries and memory card).
- Accessories included: NP-BX1 rechargeable batteries, AC-UD10 AC adaptor, Micro-USB cable (for data and charging), Shoulder strap, Wrist strap.
One of the readily noticeable problems with this camera is that it does not seem to support manual selection of macro mode. Also, the control ring appears to be placed so near the bottom that it may not be usable when the camera is fastened to a tripod plate. Having said that, the stylish snapper attempts to bring high-quality imaging in a compact aluminium body, bridging the gap between small-sensor cameras and mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras. Unfortunately, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is priced at a steep Rs 35,000, putting it out of the reach of casual shutterbugs. View the gallery below for more product shots.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000