31st Jul, 2012
Fans of dual-SIM GSM phones running Android will be delighted with the latest rumour making the rounds regarding the Samsung GALAXY S DUOS. The leaked specs sheet of the smartphone, also known by the model name S7562, shows that the Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) handset sports a 4" TFT capacitive multi-touch screen with pixel dimensions of 480x800. Powered by a 1 GHz Cortex-A5 CPU and Adreno 200 GPU, the phone has 512 MB RAM, 4 GB internal storage, and a 32 GB microSD slot. Along with an LED flash enabled 5 mp rear auto-focus camera, a front VGA camera will help in video calling through the supported 3G and Wi-Fi. Samsung currently has three dual-SIM GSM phones in India: the GALAXY Ace DUOS, Y DUOS, and the Y Pro DUOS, launched earlier this year. Here are the detailed device specifications:
- Dual-SIM, dual standby, Quad-band 2G (GSM 850 \ 900 \ 1800 \ 1900 MHz) for both SIMs, dual-band 3G (HSDPA 900 \ 2100 MHz).
- 4.8" x 2.5" x 0.4" (10.5 mm), 120 grammes.
- 4" TFT capacitive touchscreen with multi-touch, 16 million colours, 480x800.
- 3.5 mm headphone jack, micro-USB 2.0.
- Internal 4 GB storage, 32 GB microSD slot.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with hotspot feature, Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP, GPS with A-GPS.
- 5 mp primary camera with auto-focus and LED flash.
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 1 GHz Cortex-A5 CPU, Adreno 200 GPU, 512 MB RAM.
- Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Compass, FM radio.
- Video formats: MP4, H.263, H.264, WMV.
- Audio formats: MP3, eAAC+, WMA, WAV.
- Apps: Organizer, Document viewer.
- Li-ion 1500 mAh battery.
A leaked image shows the device with a white polymer body that sports a styling very similar to the GALAXY S III, the company's flagship smartphone. The only apparent difference appears to be a slightly modified Home button. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, because people who pay a premium for flagship phones will expect some sort of exclusivity for their gadgets. If relatively cheap phones look exactly like top-end models, isn't it apparent to Samsung's product managers that the flaunt value for the latter will drop sharply?
MySmartPrice.com has mentioned that this smartphone is expected to debut in India by the end of this year. Although the pricing is not available, somewhere in the range of Rs 15,000 should make it a decent buy. What in your opinion would be an ideal price for this phone? Let us know in the comments.
Samsung GALAXY S DUOS Specs And Photo Leaked; Looks A Lot Like The GALAXY S III
Android 4.0 GSM smartphone with dual-SIM will come with 4" screen and dual cameras; India launch expected later this year.
Which premium smartphone do you aspire to buy?
Samsung GALAXY S4
Sony XPERIA Z
Apple iPhone 5
Nokia Lumia 920
Total votes: 845