22:26 31st May, 2012
Beware Of New Facebook Scam That Promises To Remove Timeline
Cybercriminals attempt to exploit users' paranoia over the new FB feature; offer "help" in returning to the old look.
It is not unusual for Facebook users who have started using the Timeline feature, to feel the urge to get back to the old look. To exploit this, there are two scams that are making rounds of the social network, posing as tools that help users removing the Timeline feature. One of the scams encourages users to install a browser plug-in that claims to "remove" FB Timeline from their profiles. Once clicked, you are taken to a website with a Turkish domain. It is not yet known in what way it exploits user data.
Another application known as Facebook Timeline Remover seems to do this in a different way. Unsuspecting users are invited to complete a collection of surveys, before it proceeds to "help" them in a similar manner. Interestingly, there is a warning message just below the app page that states, "Please be aware of using or installing any "similar software", as those might just harm your computer", which is obviously the developer's attempt to gain the users' trust by portraying the app to be legit. This scam has been doing the rounds since January this year and it still seems to be going strong. Users are requested to not fall prey to such scams, as they risk exposing their private data to scammers who will use it to their advantage.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (March, 2017)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (March, 2017)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (March, 2017)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000