Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
21:05 25th Jun, 2012
ThePirateBay And Vimeo Blocked By Some Indian ISPs
Move comes after directive from govt; Reliance and Zylog first to comply.
The immensely popular BitTorrent site, ThePirateBay has been blocked by major ISPs in India. According to reports, those trying to access these sites are being greeted with a banner that reads, "This site has been blocked as per instructions from Department of Telecommunications (DOT)".
The list of banned sites also includes KickAssTorrents and BitSnoop. It has been confirmed that the Reliance Communications and Zylog Wi5 are among the ISPs, who have blocked these sites. Users of Airtel's internet service are still able to access torrents, but we don't know for how long that will last.
Last year, Reliance Entertainment had served notices to all ISPs, to ban file-sharing websites, for preventing piracy of its movie, Singham. Therefore, it's widely rumoured that ADAG is doing it again, this time for the release of Dangerous Isshq. Surprisingly, along with the torrent sites, video sharing site Vimeo has also been banned. The folks at Vimeo must be wondering, as to why their site has been blacklisted.
On the other hand, ThePirateBay, which has already been blocked in many countries including the UK, has posted a guide to set up a private proxy server, to help users get past the blockade.
- TV Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Purchasing A New TV
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (March, 2015)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 20,000 (March, 2015)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 30,000 (March, 2015)
- Top Smartphones For Business Users
- Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
- Top Quad-Core Phones Under Rs 10,000 (February, 2015)
- Top Tablet Recommendations Under Rs 10,000